Darlings a few days ago one had a hankering for fudge. Heaven knows why? Usually it’s always chocolate and a quick dash to the garage in pyjamas usually ensues. So why fudge?
My fudge fantasy ended in disaster . Mr. Lee ( usually a dab hand in the kitchen) had a bash and produced sand. The following day fudge was bought ( not made) in a fancy box the type you’d get for Christmas.
So sticking to ones original indulgence we shall not be waiting for Christmas for a decadent pud. We ( he) shall be attempting the NEMESIS. The River Cafe chocolate nemesis. If this results in sand I’m sacking the chef.
River Cafe Chocolate Nemesis
675 g dark chocolate, (70% Cocoa), broken into chunks
450 g unsalted butter
675 g caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water, making sure the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar together with an electric whisk for around ten minutes until a thick, pale, foam forms.
4. Fold the chocolate & butter mixture into the foam combining thoroughly and pour into a foil-lined 27cm springform cake tin.
5. Place the tin in a roasting dish and pour in enough hot water to come half way up the side of the cake tin. Bake for 55 minutes until just set.
6. Allow to cool completely. Remove from the tin and serve with crème fraîche.